The history of Somerley House and its early origins, go back hundreds of years to its first occupation by the Okden family of Ellingham and Moyles Court in 1653. The Okden’s sold Somerley to Sir William Doddington, whose family built the original house, located in the lower parkland of the Estate (now known as The Walled Garden). This original dwelling boasted Flemish gables and a tall order of pilasters, very modern for its time and quite different from the Somerley House we know today. Due to a fire, this original property was razed to the ground and a new dwelling was built. This was to become Somerley House which stood proud in an elevated position, commanding panoramic views of the surrounding parkland, the River Avon and the New Forest.
From architectural drawings, it has been ascertained that the present Somerley House and stable block was designed by the Wyatt brothers but predominantly Samuel Wyatt between 1791 and 1795. However, before its completion, Somerley was sold to Henry Baring – a great banking family, in 1811.